Understanding Shipping | Trust in Global Business
In this fascinating speech by Rose George, she gives some statistics and stories that connect all of us to the unkown world of shipping. The public’s unfamiliarty (which experts call “Sea Blindness”) with this vast world, many trust issues exist.
Here are some highlights:
- 90% of world trade is through shipping
- It has quadrupled in size since 1970
- Harvard Business recently named some Somali Piracy as a top business model – more on high piracy waters.
- 544 seafarers are being held hostage off the Somali coast by pirates
- 15 of the largest ships carbon emissions = all of that from the world’s cars
- There are 100,000 ships at sea
- Little known Maersk has an annual revenue of $60.2 bn – on par to Microsoft
- Container ships sail around 20 people vs. Navy ships commonly have 1,000+
- Incredibly multi-cultural crews with ability to fly most nation’s flag